I spent the better part of 3 days trying to figure out why the Network and Security tab would not show up in my vSphere Web Client. I was running VCSA 6.0 Update 2 with NSX 6.2.4 and according to the VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes I shouldn’t have had any problems:
I had followed the install guide step by step, restarted my VCSA appliance and my NSX appliance dozens of times. I made sure the NTP settings were perfectly synced and both my lookup URL and vCenter connections were showing green:
I then proceeded to login as the account I used to connect NSX to vCenter as recommended, so that you could give other users permissions…still nothing. So I did what any good engineer does, I googled the hell out of it. I found a few links but none of them seemed to have the same issue I had and there wasn’t a viable solution.
I then came across the following KB article: KB2126701
Towards the bottom it talks about a workaround, specifically:
- Log in to VCVA as root.
- Navigate to the NSX plug-in download section described in the Log Location section.
- Remove com.vmware.vshield.*.
- Remove com.vmware.ciscom.vmware.vShieldManager.zip under /etc/vmware/vsphere-client/cmCatalog/.
- Restart the Web client UI and log in.
Now I hadn’t ran any logs at the time, so I skipped 3 and moved right onto 4 and 5:
After the vSphere Web Client came back online I logged in again as the account that was used to pair NSX with vCenter and voila!
Now I would love to say, “the reason deleting the vShieldManager.zip worked was because…”, but in all reality I have no clue why it worked. Perhaps the original .zip was corrupt or had an MD5 mismatch and deleting it allowed NSX to rebuild the .zip. Perhaps someone will be able to leave the answer in the comments. I just wanted to create this post to document what worked for me, because I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong. Hopefully it helps someone else. Now onto more lab fun!